Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sympathy for my brother

On top of packing, festival, nursery school & trying to get a Brownie meeting together for today, Dale & I have just spent a few hours trying to get Kaye & Norm's computer back up and going.
I feel a great deal of empathy for my brother at this moment.
Our ISP changed from a qmail based server to a gmail based server for e-mail, one domain at a time. As a result, I didn't have e-mail from a number of people who used the inetlinkwireless address for about a month. What was sad about this was that I hadn't picked up on it for a whole month. At any rate, I worked my way through all the port changes and other settings and got us up and going. We're using Thunderbird, as Eudora had annoyed me one too many times a few months ago.
However, my in laws, who finally got wired last year, would not change from Eudora. They're "used to it". So, I tried to make the switch using their existing system.
I spent a fair bit of time trying to figure out how to change ports, but actually, it doesn't seem that you can. This while my mother in law is saying stuff like "how is it going?", "what is it doing?" "is it working yet?" behind me...I didn't say anything, but the M-I-L left saying that I was swearing at the computer.
I finally sent Dale to break the news that their Eudora was not going to work with the new server. I said that I would install Thunderbird, as everything would import (address book & folders) and that everything would be fine. They were skeptical.
Finally, after figuring out that the "ok" button for the settings was hiding behind the status bar as the font is so huge on their computer, we got things going & I went to go pick up Charlotte.
Dale spent the whole hour trying to figure out why some embedded images in a *$%##%$ joke e-mail wouldn't display. By the time I got back, the in-laws were ready to can Thunderbird because of this problem and put Outlook on. I guess we should let them, but as we have never used the program, we can't help them if they have issues.
Anyway, sent the offending e-mail here, and we can't open it on gmail, the webmail or yahoo mail. So Dale has asked them to muddle along for a while and see if anything else happens. Maybe it was something to do with the transfer of servers. Who knows.
But I do have some sympathy for my brother, even if he does think I am an
"unstable, emotionally immature cop(y) of my mother".
Perhaps he is the way he is because he has to deal with this sort of computer crap every day...

No comments: