Monday, March 17, 2008

If this is success, why the guilt?

Well, I succeeded. I managed to go to an Annual General Meeting and only take on the Treasurer position. I'm not president of the Shoal Lake Figure Skating Club.
That is success...but I think I still feel guilty. This past year I felt pretty good about the executive - all the positions were taken by parents in the Test Stream (pretty much - there were two CanSkate parents on board). So they all kind of knew what to expect. This year, I'm one of the most experienced. And I feel a bit negative about the whole thing - the people who have stepped up can be pretty negative in their attitude. I hope I'm wrong and that they will learn fast and become a good team.
There are some tough decisions to make for the club as it is - most of the test stream skaters are not continuing, and that is going to leave a big hole in the junior coaching ranks, and make it a lot harder to develop junior coaches. That was one of my biggest personal reasons for not wanting to be President. I don't want to have to decide between two coaches.
It doesn't make me really happy that there are three "Hamiota" people on the executive. The point was raised (that more Shoal Lake people should be on the board), and one of the ladies (the one who is taking over my positions) was positively rude about it. There is a lot of friction right now - the school debate still rages between the two towns, but somehow, the presumption is that it shouldn't matter (in Shoal Lake, when Hamiota is really sensitive about the whole thing).
Mom did president of the Red Rock club when we lived in Nipigon, but it wouldn't be my first choice right now. Certainly when it is my turn, I can do it, but I'm not jumping in when people should be trying to keep their own club going. Honestly, we could go to Kenton FSC, but I don't think the Shoal Lake community recognizes it.
Anyway, I'll get over my guilt as I have to develop budgets etc. for next year, and the books will have to go to audit prior to my getting them, and quite honestly, the rest of the executive is going to need help getting going on their jobs too.
On a happier note, I think the ice show went very well. But I'm still tired.
Happy birthday Dad! Hope you have had a fabulous 65th birthday!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Working with a volunteer position. Hmm... is there a true moment of success? I have to give you kudos for surviving the mess... that is awesome. It is still hard to manage when there are all the politics involved. I am also sad that you can't have a migraine. I understand as I am holding off on my cold until Friday. Unless I help a friend. Then it will be Sunday after church. I have to admit that having kids means absolutely no time for being sick. I do want to hear all about ice show, though. Not that blogs are for requests or anything :)