Thursday, March 6, 2008

You have five minutes to get over it...

First of all, let me be clear. I have not yet used this phrase with my seven year old.

But I'm thinking about it often. Joelle was indeed ill on the weekend. That stinks, especially as it was "her favourite time of the year" - her birthday. Her party was a bit disappointing, I think. Out of the 3 girls in the class who were invited, one remembered outright (yay Mom, or should I say Dad, who was in charge that day!). One forgot to RSVP, and had to run home to change & get presents. So she was late. The third totally forgot, had no presents and wasn't sure she could come until I double checked with mom in front of the school. Really tough on a pair of seven year olds, who had worked themselves up to a typical frenzy about their days, and then people couldn't remember them. Is this real life? No, people I barely know wish me a happy birthday on facebook. Yes, it is a regular day, but my friends remember. I would say that this "party" was a unnecessarily tough life lesson.
I have been sympathetic. She went for a half day of school on Monday. She went for the afternoon yesterday.
However, it is now 3 days past Joelle's birthday, she hasn't thrown up for 4, and the attitude is still very negative. She didn't want to put any effort out for skating yesterday. I was this close to using my mom's line on her, but instead we had a conversation that went something like:

So, you don't want to skate. What should we do?
Go home. Now.
Joelle, you're not my only kid here. It is not fair to Charlotte - this is her only thing that she gets to do. So why should she leave early?
(tears) 'cause I'm sick...
(Auntie Faye) You're okay Joelle - I heard you were just fine at the cabin with Grandma this morning...
Mom - Get out there and skate. Now.

Now, let's talk about bad mommy moments. I probably seem like an ogre to the coach, to the junior coach, to the other kids and definitely to Joelle. How do you teach a kid that sometimes, even though they are feeling awful, they still have to do things? Dale was hauling grain, I couldn't leave her home. Yes, she could have got off the ice, but she just would have begged junk from the canteen (which would have been oh, so great for her tummy).
And now I keep thinking about what my mom did with me ('cause I turned out perfect, so she must have been right :-) )...I still remember the "you have five minutes"...she just didn't have time to deal with a sick kid. I'm thinking though that if she were here right now, Joelle would be home from school, cuddled on the couch with her Granny, getting royally treated. So it is kind of funny how perspective changes...

Well, I have another cake to do today. So hopefully Joelle can come home in a better mood. Thankfully, Charlotte is just happy today, excited for her day tomorrow!



1 comment:

Ken Horton said...

Are you griping about apple == tree?