Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Oh, Canada.

Joelle has decided that she is brave enough to sing the national anthem at this Sunday's ice show.
Now the question is: Am I brave enough?
She sang for the club executive today. She just sang it in the bathtub. The off key bits will drive me insane. But overall, I've heard worse.
And as the past-president of the club knows that the kid is performing in the Vocal Festival in two weeks, it is rather hard to say that she can't sing.
However, I have had to institute some rules about singing in this household. Rule #1 - no singing in a moving vehicle. Why? Because they sing all the time, and no one can escape. It was leading to backseat fights and was liable to send me into the ditch one day.
Rule #2 - no singing Oh Canada. Why? Not sure. It grates on me. It is taught as a funeral dirge. And besides, the silly renditions that end up happening seem disrespectful.

So this is my idea of torture. She has to practice.

Yes, I am a party pooper.

I kind of wish that she'd picked a different event. I'm ice captain for this ice show. Joelle has a wardrobe change too, which I'll probably have to cover. I feel...busy. Overextended. The young teenager who rides with me said today that she had noticed that I would run back and forth 8 times to the ice, locker, lobby etc. and that there were 20 other parents just sitting while I do this. Hmm. So perhaps the stress I'm feeling at Joelle adding this one more thing is more to do with what everyone else is not doing.

One really good thing - I got Charlotte's hair into french braids and put flowers in it. Cute. And it made her happy - she's really noticing that Joelle has the pretty dresses and she is still stuck in boring costume land. So that was good. And rehearsal went well today. I think I'll just be so glad when it is done.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loved this post. I particularly enjoyed the title with the very poignant use of a period.

Yeah, Joey! I am so excited for her. I love your singing rules, though and back them 100%. You're so right on so many levels.

The other parents at ice show have to pull up their socks. Delegate, delegate, demand :). Works for me:)

I hope you took a photo of Charly... you know I want to see it :)

Love ya!