Saturday, March 22, 2008

Piano

pi·a·no2 (pē-ä'nō, pyä'-) pronunciation Music.
adv. & adj. (Abbr. p)

In a soft or quiet tone. Used chiefly as a direction.

n., pl. -nos.

A passage to be played softly or quietly.


So why does my daughter, who has inherited the incredibly projecting strong voice, not manage to drown out my horrible accompanying piano (played piano)?

Okay, it's not horrible. It's worse. I'm not sure, exactly, why it is that I was ever granted a Grade 8. As I recall, it was by the skin of my teeth. The theory, I get. The actual striking of the correct keys, in the correct order...not so good. And I keep feeling my shoulders getting higher, and higher, and tenser - I think I'd better book my masseuse now.

Let's be clear. I'm not doing this by choice. Joelle loves to sing. Great. Mrs. Brown took her last year to festival, played for her, Joelle did well. Joelle wanted to do festival again. But Mrs. Brown is away watching one of her kids have a grandbaby. So, if Joelle wanted to do festival, someone had to play for her. And Granny is busy. As I keep telling Joelle, we have a musical family. It just didn't really play out on my side. I appreciate music. I love to sing. I DO NOT play the piano for enjoyment. I don't play in public whenever I can get out of it! And I'm not sure which piano is out of tune - I made Joelle practice at the church and the whole thing sounded horribly different. I hope it isn't ours - we just (finally) got it tuned.

I don't know if there are enough illicit substances in this world to make me relax enough to get this done. Thankfully, there aren't many people in her portion of the program. She is, once again, the only singer in both of her classes. I have only found one other mom who has ever played for her children - she hated it too. Half of the problem is that you're listening to them, hoping that they don't mess up. Add that to the inherent nervousness caused by a different piano in a public place and I think it is a recipe for disaster.

Anyway, I'll keep practicing. Poor Joelle, she's been run through these songs steady for the last week. And one of them, really, should be quite nice. It's cute. It's tuneful. The other one, poor Joelle has real trouble with. It is meant to be a "hoedown" type song, with things like o' and ev'ry and thinkin' and 'bout - this is sung by the girl who prefers words like "cannot" ...it is tough on her. And whomever wrote the music should have been shot. But that's just my opinion.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ah... musical Linda. You are most musical. But I understand where you're coming from. Does it help that I think everything will go really, really well? Because I do. Regardless.... I loved this post. Especially the fact that my niece struggles with contractions. You go, girl. I mean "Excellent on you, lassie." Or something like that. Happy Easter!