Tuesday, April 1, 2008

view from away...

Mom & Dad just left to drive to Minneapolis en route to Guatemala. They seemed excited - I think it is mostly because they're getting away from here.
The weather has been...uck. Rotten, dirty snowbanks are everywhere. They almost outnumber the for sale signs around here. I keep thinking of the western housing shortages, and how young people "can't afford to buy a house" and then I look around at this part of the world and wish that they would find oil on the Cameron Falls road. Or discover that it is the best place to put up the ultimate telecommuting office network...I don't have the solution, but it seems like they should pick up the houses and drive them all in a huge convoy down the road to Toronto, or to Calgary - then everyone could be happy. I can't see how all of these strange little houses could ever be filled again - I guess I'm used to the smaller towns with the bigger yards - if every second house left, the town would probably be right sized again.

In one word, Nipigon is...depressing.

Dale says it isn't fair to compare any place at this time of the year (point taken, but as we seem to be vacationing at this time of year every year, we get to see everywhere at it's ugliest...)
Could be worse, I guess. Kaye & Norm were snow stayed at the cabin for 2 days due to a foot of snow. At least that hasn't been a problem here!

We'll head to Thunder Bay today and on to Duluth tomorrow. Looking forward to spending time with my nieces...and their parents too!

No comments: