So Dale & I went out for sushi in Brandon last night with Jim & Cher. Some observations:
1) My husband is very adventurous in trying new things
2) My husband is open about his likes & dislikes
3) I have more world experience than I give myself credit for
4) I am becoming a cheap old woman
5) Brandon is becoming more and more multicultural
It is awfully funny to watch a bunch of rednecks with chopsticks. Brandon is currently supporting two sushi places - I'm finding that really hard to imagine. The Sushi Hut had far too much variety and not nearly enough explanation - I'm guessing that's why the guys ordered something called a "spider" - it was a maki roll with a teeny crab (including shell) in it.
I didn't mind anything that I tried. But then, I have a small appetite (except for crab alfredo at Red Lobster...mmm....), so all I have to do is find a few things I like and I can be full. Dale tried more things than I did and, surprise, surprise, wasn't fond of the raw fish. Of course, he tried it plain. He also thought that wrapped sushi was done up in fish skin (and he really didn't like the wraps). And, even though I told him not to, he tried to scoop up the wasabi and down it. Jim stopped him in time, but he still had enough to make him turn scarlet.
I have decided that even though my prior sushi type experience was from the Oyakawa's, I did actually benefit from trying this as a kid. I will have to find someone who can make nice, mild things for the girls to try - I certainly wouldn't buy them an all you can eat!
I'm not sure if Dale would go back to a sushi place for the food, and I honestly had no idea it would take that long to eat. When you're paying a sitter in order to go out and eat, a three hour meal is excessive. But, we don't do this sort of thing that often, and it was a nice evening out. I still expect to have to pan fry any catches of the day this summer, though!
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
oH, so, so true. This is an excellent, excellent entry. Yes, the sushi experience. I believe that your INTJ and my INTJ could discuss their culinary preferences ad nauseum.
As for me, you know I love Sushi. The wraps are (generally) made of sea weed. dried. I really enjoy the cucumber rolls. I am so glad he didn't down the wasabi. He'd need a lot of saki to counter that move.
This just shows that maybe we'll go back to the Fish place instead of trying out Fuji's next time you're in town. Or maybe I'll just have to learn how to make it myself :)
Post a Comment