Monday, April 14, 2008

try...orama

Oh, the joys of homework.
I thought, mistakenly, that I might actually be done my homework by the time I was 30.
Wrong.
On so many levels.
Today I woke up at 1 a.m. to read an accounting chapter on the relevance of financial ratios. Needless to say, I fell deep asleep by 2.
I woke again at 7 to help Joelle string up her fish.
Joelle had managed to create (out of model magic, paint & glitter glue) lovely little models of a sturgeon, a rainbow trout, a whitefish, a pickerel & a baby lake trout. I had threaded these onto monofilament fishing line to string up in her triorama.
I'm betting I'm not the only person to not have a clue what a "triorama" is. A triorama is a triangular diorama. The cool thing about trioramas is that you can put four of these things back to
back, making a pyramid, and thus stretch out the project topic to include four separate themes. Thanks a lot, Auntie Faye, for telling us about these! And thanks to Auntie Kim & Uncle Ken for helping out on the research end - we'll get that book back after she's done her presentation.
At any rate, Joelle has spent the whole weekend putting little bits of spruce & cedar tree into clay, washing rocks, making a beaver lodge out of mud & sticks, cutting the Sleeping Giant out

of paper and otherwise putting the project together. I will drive it to school tomorrow - the rocks made it heavy enough to require 3/8 plywood for a base.
But, she did learn a lot. As usual, I'm surprised at the retention of both kids on what they saw on their spring vacation.
I hope my retention is half that good - I have my final exam scheduled for this accounting course next week, and I'm not really looking forward to it.
But, for tonight, all the accounting assignments are put to bed and Joelle has finished her very first triorama.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow... that is more than impressive. I don't have words. Let me know how the presentation went... and where you're going to put the triorama when it returns home :)