Friday, April 25, 2008

Rodeo, tractor seats & all things bucolic

Today is the first day of the Triple 'H' rodeo in town. Joelle wants to enter the Little Wrangler portion of this - she did it last year too. She'll be riding a stick horse in the barrel racing pattern and trying to rope a bale with a hula hoop. Charlotte, on the other hand, doesn't get to participate until next year, so I expect that I will have a bored little girl in the stands while her sister "competes." The prize is free tickets to the rodeo for the participants, although since the adult accompanying them has to pay, free is relative...
I'll be trying to get my buns in gear this morning - literally - I have to send two dozen buns to the rink for tomorrow's supper and if I get them baked this morning I can just drop them off tonight. So that is one less thing this weekend.
My weekend plans include farming "type" activities. Oh, and cleaning the guest room. And laundry. And cooking large meals. However, that's every weekend.
But, the farming type activities: The papers (co-operator & producer) came in yesterday. So, being a good farm wife, I sat down with them immediately and pored over the classifieds until I found any harrows that seemed to be a possible phone call. I marked them, then I made lasagna for supper (an entirely different post could come out of that) and got ready for Brownies. Dale's parting words as we left for the meeting were "I will have wine waiting for you when you get back." Perfect - last Brownie meeting, I deserve a glass of wine.
The meeting lasted merely an hour. So, after clean up, I'm driving back up 21 highway when I meet Dale (and Norm) in our truck. Uh, huh? I guess I need to remember that one of Dale's charming attributes is his spontaneity. He had phoned the closest guy who had harrows, and was off to somewhere near Rivers to take a look at them. By 10:15, when he got back, I was asleep in front of the TV and he was phoning to commit to purchase. So, I guess we get to pick up the harrows this weekend too. Oh well, Mom is coming, I'll have wine then.
And I have a dirty tractor seat in my living room. The "new" tractor (it's 25 years old) needs a re-upholstery job. I'm threatening to do it in camouflage leopard print, but nonetheless, I need to get the thing stripped (an outside job - 25 years worth of field dust does not need to be released into my home) and then somehow make a cover for these seat components. Needs to be done soon - apparently Norm has made arrangements to get the base of the seat welded today and they are going to want the cushions back to get it finished. Dale is hauling grain - hopefully he'll get the majority of it out today and only have a bit for next week.
Maybe, if it is nice, I'll get something done for the garden too. That would be nice - things are kind of stalled out waiting for the snow to melt and the wind to drop. But, in the meantime, I'd better get these buns done.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh thank you for your blog entry. I've been waiting with bated breath. Seriously. It's nice to hear how things are going... I particularly appreciated the glass of wine - husband with "red" colours - and harrows section. So real. Hopefully you can get some gardening time. At this rate, I won't be gardening for months. sigh. Hope Joey has fun in the rodeo :) Miss you!

Ken Horton said...

And people say farmers are boring. I particularly like the leopard pattern seats. Does the tractor need fuzzy dice?