Both the Globe & Mail and CBC have business stories this weekend about agriculture.
http://www.reportonbusiness.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080215.wr-cover16/BNStory/Business/home
and
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2008/02/15/prairie-market.html?ref=rss
By the markets, this is looking like a good year. Of course, by the time the national news agencies notice, the markets will be close to (if not at) peak, so we'll see how things go from here. International demand for our product has a lot to do with market values, but when you see stories on the cover of "Report on Business", it suggests that way too many people have clued in. Investors are trying to rush to agriculture stocks, which is amusing in a way, as they would have nothing to do with them last year. Hopefully the investment (which has to go to input companies or huge, public operations) will allow the input companies to do their job well without fleecing the farmers, but I highly doubt that. We're buying our inputs early to try to beat a huge projected price increase in the spring.
But marketing isn't my department, growing the crop well is. And I'm getting in the spring mood - the flower seed orders to two companies have gone out, and I'm trying to figure out where I'll start them. Still have to do vegetable seed, but I don't have to have little plants as early for them.
I should have been working on accounting this weekend - both for the farm (I have a few transactions to redo, now that I have finally received December statements for some companies) and for school, but yesterday ended up being such a glorious day that I didn't get it done. And I doubt I will today either - I have a sweater on the needles and it calls to me. I should also sew up a prototype costume for Charli, but that might wait for tomorrow.
Louis Riel Day tomorrow - a very welcome long weekend, but I'll be helping at Test Day all afternoon. Oh well, it means I don't have to push Jo to finish her book report today, which is nice. Anyway, need to get ready for church - at least when it is a Guide event, I don't have to worry about what I'm wearing!
Sunday, February 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment