Friday, February 15, 2008

Being late

Yesterday, I was late for driving the kids to the rink. This probably doesn't sound like a big deal, but honestly, it ruined my day. Lots of factors contributed to my being late - a poorly timed visit by grandpa (that blocked my exit), a cell phone gone missing and a general misunderstanding that pick up was at 12:30, not 12:35. I can't stand being disorganized - it really bothers me to be the one who leaves everyone hanging.
It is such a weird fear - I cringe even at the story book that I have now listened to a child read three times during classroom reading. The story involves a little boy who is late for soccer. Some nice father is driving the child to the soccer game - the lazy mother in the story (I characterize her as lazy as she is still asleep when the car arrives, and there are no other characters in the story like a baby...) has not got the kid ready to go. The son of the father driving the car reminds the other kid that the other kid has the game ball, then the lazy mother can't even find that. The lazy mother finally throws a banana at the kid to eat in the car (note: NO ONE eats bananas in my car. They smell.) The story ends with the responsible parent's child saying "we got here in time, thanks to my dad" and the other kid saying "and my mom." That kills me. Absolutely slays me. For whatever reason, lazy mom doesn't take her kid to soccer, sleeps in, is disorganized, stinks up the car and then she gets credit for helping????
I have no idea why I am this A.R. about organization...I just know that it really bugs me when people can't pull their own weight.
On the plus side, Tracy ran an absolutely super meeting last night - and it didn't bother me at all that I had no idea what she was going to do. We were at the Senior's home, and things went really well. Even the littlest Sparks were good, and I think the older girls had fun.
The hubby is running the leftover cookies to school today, I'm sure the extra sugar will be appreciated. It is 100 day - that's another story - maybe later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, you crack me up. I don't know if it's the banana comment or the being late OCD that makes me laugh. I, too, have inherited both traits... the frustration (agony) of being late and the banana free car zone (I have a gag reflex if I smell a banana being eaten in an enclosed space. Gross. Really, really gross.) I will never get over the late issues I have... and I think the writer of that book (Was it Rosemary whatever-her-name is (Wells?) from Max and Ruby?) be told that she is not passing along any Aesop-type moral lessons. I'd ban the book. But that's just me.