Friday, February 22, 2008

An expensive Brownie badge

Joey is working on her "Food Power" badge. She started last night, after Brownies.
This week, she has to "Find out what Junk Food is, and eliminate it from her diet for one week", she has to " Visit a local supermarket - how do they handle food to keep it safe & clean?", "Name three fruits or vegetables that you've never tried & try one" and "Donate healthy food to a food bank"
Wow. So, today, I picked her up after school, drove her to Shoal Lake BigWay where my friend Nathalie is the produce manager. I shopped while Joelle learned and tasted. We came home with mangoes and blood oranges and grapefruits (well, that was for Charli who begged for a "pamplemousse" today) and salad, and sprouts, and yams, and peppers, and grapes, and pinata apples and mushrooms and fresh stirfry mix and then the regular tomatoes & carrots etc. You want to eat at my house this week! Tonight's menu included barbequed fresh pork chops, salad, pasta and mango for dessert. I don't know - this badge might be a toughie :-)
Joelle tried (and didn't care for) avacadoes. We did the cereal aisle - she put back the alphabits & froot loops and picked up MultiGrain Cheerios and Raisin Bran after looking over the ingredient lists and nutritional information. Mothers were stopping in the aisle to watch this happen - sad, but true. We had the most colourful cart that I think I have ever had. She picked multicoloured "wacky mac" pasta to have with her spaghetti sauce. We have Rye bread to make yummy toast, new fruit & veggie juice to try (her choice), and she even agreed to keep it to white milk, especially since it is a "healthier choice" than chocolate.
Joelle tried a new salad dressing to go with it all - Granny & Grandpa had left an unopened Asian Silk spritzer - apparently, that's a hit.
Now, to keep me out of the kitchen. I love to bake at this time of year - if I can keep it to multigrain buns and muffins though, I guess we'll be fine.
And I splurged and bought some Knorr frozen easy pasta 'cause it was on sale and it is good and I love not to cook sometimes. Best trip I've had to the store in a long time.
So, to my dear brother, who gets sad when he shops, I have the cure. Be ready to buy some weird and wonderful items, but take a 7 year old (or almost) and see what ends up in the cart. Nice to have some guidelines, of course, but I am quite amazed to see that some of this healthy eating lecturing is sinking in!

2 comments:

Ken Horton said...

What music was playing though? My shopping trips with Emily are normally tests of the 14 different ways to pronounce her name. Emily, get back here. EMily, now! EmiLY! EMILY!

Unknown said...

Ah, Ken. You crack me up. I have to do the same thing with Nate. My rant usually sounds like "Nate, no. Nate... come here. Now. Nate, come here. Nathaniel, come here! Nathaniel Mackenzie John Tuck come here right now. Nate! Okay, one, two..." You get the picture.

Excellent badge, Linda. I hope you enjoyed the many different things cooked up. I am really impressed with the variety of foods you found. How did Joey like them?