I'm getting caught up on the blog before I go away for the weekend. Not that I have a particularly active mind today, maybe I need to have some more sugar.
Anyway, I wish I could believe in conspiracy theory. Perhaps alien landings would help me deal with the following problems of the day:
Why the paperless society will never work.
and
Why particleboard consumer goods are crap.
Point 1. Why the paperless society will never work - because people are idiots. Not persons, most persons are okay. People, on the other hand, especially when "organized" into large bodies of bureaucracy, are idiots. I can't believe that every single piece of documentation I send somewhere is abducted by aliens, but maybe if I could, that would help. Then I wouldn't think that all governments and large organizations convert their workers into mindless droids (sorry Ken) who shred everything that comes into their hands. I'll still continue to take copies of everything, however, just so that I can prove that I have sent the paper, even after it follows Jimmy Hoffa.
Point 2. Why consumer goods are crap - because we are losing the art of making things by hand, and as such, we are accepting crap in our houses and workplaces.
In other words, the robots are taking over everything!
I can't come up with any other explanation on why I would have a pantry in my breezeway that will have to go back to the store. I didn't drop it - obviously someone has, heavily. More than once. I can't blame the store - the thing must weigh 100 pounds. And it is six feet tall! Why would that much stuff be in one package? Wouldn't it make more sense to split the goods into more than one package that could be managed more easily? Of course it would, unless you were a robot with super-human strength! So they must be taking over everything. And they can't measure - otherwise why would every "pre-drilled" hole in a piece of kit furniture be off by 1/8 of an inch?
So yes, I do wish I could believe in the paperless society and in quality consumer goods, but until the mind control bots can find my address (unlike virtually every computer algorithm in the whole universe), I guess I'll have to manage as is...
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Touchy. Someone wee in your flacons des mais this am?
Tell you what. You make your own goods by hand. That will solve the disposable problem. I know I can't bear to part with anything that has more than a pint of my blood in it.
Bureaucracies are built by layers of people with one ability: the power to say no. They don't take initiative, they just refuse whenever they can. It's the only power they have.
So have a little heart for them. They would have heart for you, but that is reserved for someone with the power to say yes.
Yes, Ken, I am touchy. No one wee-d in my cornflakes this morning, really. Perhaps it is a blood sugar thing, maybe hormones or maybe I'm just frustrated with the default response of bureaucracy today. As you say, it is made up of people...who can say no.
The CASS program who had sent me the T4 that didn't add up called me back today. New girl in the position. Fine. Didn't have a clue about my file, but her default was: It is your fault, we will make you repay the $56 discrepancy. Then the T4 will work out.
No. I'm not giving it back. I'm grouchy. Besides, it isn't my fault and I have the paper trail to prove it.
So I'm not upset at the girl, as I do have some sympathy - this program has been a wreck for years. I'm just tired of going through this headache with virtually every program.
And rather than abuse the girl on the phone, I thought I'd chalk it up to the black hole of paperwork. I feel better now.
Post a Comment