We made it over the halfway mark yesterday! In fact, after Dale finishes up this field, we'll be 63% in - almost 70% of the canola will be in, and after that, we'll just have the oats to go.
No one would complain about a rain break (as long as it knows how to quit.) It drizzled a bit this evening, but I still watered my tender plants today.
At least we had a little respite from the wind today. I went out scouting fields yesterday - wore three warm layers and still froze despite the 22 degree temperature. Of course, the 44 mph wind that was blowing might have had something to do with the chilliness. I lost quite a few of my cruciferous (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower) plants to the wind - I had got them planted, but didn't manage to get the wind covers onto them before the gusts arrived. I'm not sure if it would have helped much anyway - with that kind of wind most of the covers are blowing off.
Oh well, at least my whole vegetable garden is in now. I still have the flowers to do, but it is nice to have all of the veggies in their little rows. Nothing up yet, but it's still early. I just put the corn, beans, radishes, brussels sprouts, strawberries, basil, dill and sweet peppers in today.
And we had a little taste of the garden yesterday - fresh asparagus and rhubarb pie. Mmmm...
Until next time, I'm going to try to keep the dirt out of my eyes, ears and teeth (always check all three before heading to town for parts) and go clean it out of my hair and hands to the best of my ability.
Sunday, May 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment