Thursday, May 1, 2008

Long hours

Anhydrous ammonia is flowing here on the farm. Dale got started on Monday - he's about 1/4 done now. For me, it's not super busy - my main occupations are feeding people and running for parts. Add to that nursery school and soccer practices twice weekly and my usual system of disorganized chaos is functioning as expected. Floor - dirty. Dishwasher - overworked. Laundry - a load every second day of greasy, smelly clothes (and then, sometimes, one of the kids' stuff...) Car - I actually remembered to fill it. Truck - getting an oil change today. Joelle - tired. Charlotte - exhausted. The cold frame is up and mostly full of baby plants - heater needs to go on almost every morning at 5 - so that's my first wake up of the day. I do manage to sleep a few hours after that, but I'm back on the wake up shift for breakfast, coffee and school.

Dale has his first anhydrous fill at 8 a.m. or so. Then he's on the tractor until the last fertilizer fill runs out, which most days has been 11:30 p.m. If things go well, this job only lasts a few weeks. Then it is on to seeding, which again, if things go well, should take 2 to 3 weeks. I'll still be trying to find a wind free day or two to get chores done around here (good luck - it's gusting to 40 today) and somehow try to keep Dale fed & watered. He doesn't get to sleep, but at least I can keep the coffee and sandwiches coming.
I try to stay up until Dale gets home - it's a guilt thing - if he's working, I should be too, but still, there don't seem to be enough hours in the day to get everything done.

The incessant, strong wind is making everyone extra tired. Poor kids are practicing soccer outdoors - that's brutal enough. It is too windy to fly kites. Bike rides are really short. Even outside play is mostly confined to the playhouse. And barbeque meals have been out of the question for most of the spring - really too bad, as we are going through lots of food. Finished the turkey in less than a week. And I'd cooked a roast beef too - that's gone. I think tonight is meatloaf - again, more sandwich stuff.

But, I'd better run. I have to go pick up more parts, get the oil done in the truck, get Char from nursery school, settle out a grain ticket with the elevator and discuss chemical bundles with their input guy. Oh well, I'd hate to be bored!

2 comments:

Ken Horton said...

Maybe I should send you some "Red Bull".

And I thought I was feeling busy. Do TRY to get some rest dear sister.

Unknown said...

I love the part about "Dishwasher - overworked". I hear you, sister. I, too, would hate to be bored... but wouldn't it be nice if the domestics stayed done?