We are finished seeding wheat on Brian's North, East of Brian's and the King quarter. For you math people out there, that is a little better than 1/8th of our crop in. Dale has just gone to pick up the Malt Barley seed that will be going on Morgan's.
Still no rain. Still cold. Too cold. Soccer camp has been a trial for the spectators - it is so windy and cold out there, I have lost any remaining pride I had and have been huddled under blankets. So has just about everyone else.
The weed spectrum, so far, seems to be highly limited. Dale likes to spray before some crops are seeded and right now, there is nothing really to spray. If it ever warms up and we happen to get some moisture, things should explode as far as weed populations. But in the meantime, we're seeding crops that we can spray the weeds out of (in other words, not oats.) Even the trees are holding back on leafing out - a few silly willows have, but NOTHING else seems to be getting that hairy/green appearance. So we're not expecting germination of the seed until things get wetter or warmer.
However, since my mother in law has had her garden in for a week, I planted potatoes, onions, garlic, peas and carrots today. That was it. I just couldn't put my little wee plants out under milk cartons to face their first night when it is this cold. Ended up being a good choice, Environment Canada is now calling for -6 tonight.
Which means I'll start my Mother's Day at 5 a.m., turning the heat on for the plants. I'll have a chocolate martini with Kaye after soccer camp and will finally get to look in the kids' rooms. Not that looking in their rooms is liable to be a good thing, but I am looking forward to the surprise gifts they made at school. Hope all of the rest of you moms out there have a great day!
Saturday, May 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Happy Mother's Day Linda!
I'll call you tonight, I hope I can get ahold of you.
Post a Comment