Monday, May 5, 2008

and still busy

Well, there have to be some disadvantages to having helpful children. I asked Joelle what she was going to write in her journal today. They have to write each week about what they did on the weekend. Ahh - that's a problem right now. You see, she pulled sunflowers, swept out the garage, cleaned the Barbie house, cleaned up the basement (that's a perpetual journal entry) and helped her mom with kitchen work. I think she learned how to run the washing machine too.

I pointed out that her grandparents came to visit again, and that she had earned not only her allowance but two brand new chapter books for all of her work. And that she had played outside a lot, flown her kite and had done sculpture crafts.

Somehow, that doesn't compare to digging up the sunflowers. It's too bad the kid sounds like a child labourer, but everyone pitches in at this time of year. And I do pay her, but somehow that doesn't mitigate the guilt. Charlotte got her allowance too - the money doesn't mean as much to her (less of a consumer concept with her), but she likes the recognition. And she's been helping lots too - there is certainly always lots to do around here.

Dale has gone out to replace his dad on the tractor. They're trying to finish up the dry fertilizer - that should be done by mid afternoon. Then there is still two sections (about 1100 arable acres) worth of land to anhydrous. 1600 acres are already done, so only 4 or so days left after today. Then he'll have to convert the seeding rig over to different ground openers and get seeding.

Not sure what I'll be up to today. Still cold here - it sure would be nice not to wake up at 5 a.m. to put the heater on in the cold frame, but it is way too cold to put any plants out, even in the cozy coats. Cozy coats are a bunch of interconnected plastic tubes that I filled with water (with Charlotte's help) last week. They surround little plants and keep them insulated. But, I still hesitate to put plants in them - while they should be nice and toasty warm inside after 7 days out to absorb heat, they're just not.

Oh well, maybe the part I've been waiting for will come in today. I hope so, we can't do anything with the water trailer until it comes in, and I would like to have that ready to fill my cistern. Doesn't seem like the rain is coming yet, so we'd better look after ourselves!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am laughing over the comment "It's too bad the kid sounds like a child labourer..."
Brouh ha ha
She is actually learning some really great life lessons... I tip my hat to you... you slave driver... keep up the great work (or the great workers).

Ken Horton said...

If you're so busy, why didn't you plan on having more kids to help out around the farm? :D