Wednesday, May 7, 2008

people who can't pump their own gas

Yes, I know I am a tomboy (or at least I work like one.)

But I have to say that really, I am a bit disgusted with women who can't fill their own gas tanks. Sorry mom.

Honestly, if you're going to drive (especially a huge SUV), you should have to open the little door, take off the gas cap, flip the switch and hold the handle. Uh, how hard can it be? Yes, I like to use full serve when I have sleeping children. Otherwise, couldn't care less.

This little rant comes about after sitting at the (freezing cold) soccer pitch with a bunch of other moms. We were all having a good giggle about the mishap that three of them (traveling together) had on the weekend. The lady who was driving knew that her gas gauge was out of whack, so she had been filling her tank very regularly. What she didn't know was that somehow, the gas tank was dented in such a way that it triggers the off switch on the automatic fill mechanisms on fuel pumps. So, when she filled up in Hamiota, she ran out of gas north of Rivers. Ooops.

So the three ladies are sitting in the car on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, it is getting dark and all of a sudden the theme song from "Halloween" plays. That's the funny part. The lady who owns the car has her cell phone set to play that theme, but needless to say, the other women were a little freaked...but we all had a laugh when the same cell phone kept ringing today at the soccer pitch. Everyone was fine in the little mishap - the husband got off the tractor and brought more fuel for the car.

That led to a conversation about what we do if we have car trouble. I mentioned the time that I got stuck in Minnedosa with a very flat tire on the van, after the lug nuts had been tightened with the impact wrench, and how I was upset that Dale had to come rescue me for just a wimpy flat tire.

And then I notice...everyone is staring at me. I'm in my work clothes - I'd jumped off the tractor directly to the truck, picked up the seed treatment in Oakner and beetled off to Hamiota in time to watch soccer practice. The lady who had the car run out of gas says "So, like, you actually can change a tire?" I was flabbergasted. Most of these ladies are farmers' wives. I thought it came with the territory.

But no, some ladies call their men to change their tires. And one admitted to never having pumped her own gas. None of them will drive the tractor. They said maybe they would have to take me along with them the next time as the mechanic. Hmm, not sure - I think I'll be busy helping out around the farm.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ha ha ha... I love it!

You should talk to your BIL about my car knowledge. Hmmm... I'm not that talented, am I? My hat's off to you sis.

Ken Horton said...

Rantarific! I'll spare you all the mean jokes I could throw at you now.

I'm proud that you are so capable mechanically. I'm not that handy with vehicles, but in the family tradition, much to my wife's chagrin, I'm not afraid to try :)

Mind you, shoe being on the other foot, how many of those SUV drivers are fine on the QEW...