Wednesday, May 14, 2008

seeding progress 2

Well, now we're done the barley too! That's about 30% of total in (or a little better than 5/8 of the cereal crop.) Logistically we should move into the oats next. But...nothing much is growing yet, and so we're not going to seed a crop and risk having it weedy. I'm sure things will pop up good and green in the next few days - that will make me feel better agronomically (we can spray before or immediately following seeding and kill the rotten little weeds instead of having them flush up in the crop.)

Since my last blog entry, we have had rain. About 4 tenths on my brother's birthday. I therefore got to go to Brandon and collect much of the list that has been outstanding. So that was good. One can only last so long without replenishing the shampoo, toothpaste and grease removing hand cleaner inventories.

I got my mother's day gifts: seeds (including parsley) from Charlotte, cookie mix from Joelle and a 230 cc ATV from Dale. Or for Dale, we're not sure. Charlotte is happy because I didn't have any parsley, so that made her day. And the cookies will be fun to bake.

The quad, however, is currently over at the other yard. I got to ride it today between loads of chemical and seed (I spent my day running to elevators getting things loaded and home - same thing tomorrow.) It is theoretically for me to use crop scouting, and that's what I was up to today. But the men seem to be enjoying it too. It seems that they like to use the faster gears more than I do.

My garden is coming along - I put in my lettuces the day before the rain, just did my cauliflower today and my bulbs came in, so I'll be getting those into the ground tomorrow, I hope. I've been working away at managing the perennials between runs to town - I think we'll be eating asparagus soon and the rhubarb isn't far off either!

Soccer continues to be intensive - Joelle's team had their first game last night, they won 13-0; however, it seemed a little unfair as we were running two full lines of nine kids each, while the other whole team was made up of nine children. Charlotte has practice tomorrow, then Jo has another game on Friday.

Anyway, things are busy, but good busy. The tire shortage has meant that we're stuck putting tubes in every flat and repairing all the little holes. Dale got me water in the gardening cistern today, so I can water my baby plants as much as they need. And while we have no special plans for the weekend, hopefully it is nice out so we can get more accomplished.

No comments: