Thursday, May 8, 2008

bopping geeks on the head

I can write again today about how busy life is. Everyone knows that things are moving at an incredible pace here. Dale has officially finished fertilizing (except the starter dry fertilizer that goes down with the seed). He is currently working on getting the seeding toolbar up and going - hopefully that will be done soon. If no precipitation falls tomorrow (maybe snow, maybe rain, maybe nothing, depending on the forecast) he'll start seeding wheat. And, I have just finished Day 2 of 5 consecutive days on the soccer pitch. We get a day off on Monday, then 4 on again.

On the other hand, I have spent my day trying to figure out how to install a database program onto my Maemo Linux PDA. Well. The directions might as well have been written in Portuguese. I feel like I'm back on the C64, programming my little heart out, but in one of those horrible Windows command prompt proxy things that let you think you're accomplishing something when really, you can't change a thing!

As a last resort I started reading other people's blogs. Apparently, there is some guy in Australia who managed to change the time zone setting on this PDA. That was one of my other pet peeves, so I started reading. And, being a total doofus, I had to read the whole log of what steps he took to get his machine up and going. Lo and behold, there was something called the "red pill" option on this thing. It was an "Easter Egg".

I had just enabled the "red pill" mode on my PDA and discovered all kinds of different options to try (like the one that tells you what you're missing to make the application run) when the low battery light came on. Hopefully It will all make sense after I get power back, but in the meantime, I feel like bopping a geek on the head.

I think geeks might be deriving some perverse pleasure in ensuring that "normals" spend their day trying to crack weird codes. Does there have to be a complicated key stroke pattern to put a machine in administrator mode, just to get an error message? And, if adding an application is going to be this tough, should it really be on the "user" "easy" "one-click download" part of the code site?

I know that when I get this stinking application installed, I'm going to find out that it doesn't do exactly what I need it to do and will end up getting frustrated. Or, perhaps I'll just use all of these wonderful bits of code I'm picking up and hack the thing to do my bidding.

But then I'd have to bop myself on the head.

1 comment:

Ken Horton said...

Do, or do not. There is no try.

:)

Good luck on the learning curve there Sis. I'd offer to be your supporting little brother, but Emily just read the card you sent me out loud, and Kim nearly jumped at her.

So I wish you dependency hell. I'll help you when you reach the 7th level, the one where you're compiler needs a new library that you can't compile because it needs the newer compiler.