Sunday, November 2, 2008

Sunday Morning Guilt

Good morning.

It is Sunday again. I'm home. I feel horrible. I only have one more week until I can complain to a specialist...but in the meantime I stay as close as I can to a couch and a potty.

Yet in the next fifteen minutes I have to decide whether to take the kids to church.

Hmmm. Doesn't do a thing for me, church. Sorry, but it doesn't, at least in Hamiota.

I would be going because I have to do Sunday School next week. That's another story - I have been scheduled for every Remembrance Day service for the last four years. So the one service that I actually wish I could stay up with the grownups, and take the kids to the whole thing, I'm stuck doing Sunday School. Yes, I'm a bit bitter. But I should prepare. Although I'll be in the church at least twice this week for festival.

I should take the kids this week - they're downstairs watching "High School Musical". The problem is I don't like the service upstairs and now the kids are getting too big for me to sneak downstairs with them.

So I'm stuck, uncomfortable, in a pew, in the front row (because that's where the usher puts you - again, do we need ushers?) because I have chauffered my kids to go downstairs and watch VeggieTales. Next week we get popcorn too! Maybe it is the lack of content - I saw the song sheet up for "I'm going to let it shine" -hide it under a bushel? Um. Sure. I'll hide my light under a bushel. Who wrote that one out? I find the whole service, upstairs or down, lacks content.

I have to do two services this year. Next week and the 15th of February (right in the middle of a five day weekend - no one will show up but us). They're both movie Sundays.

However, I'm finding that the kids don't care if they go. They like to, but they also like to hang out here.

I know I'm picky. I wish I could take them somewhere to a Sunday School that I like. I went to Rene's funeral yesterday (97 years old, so it wasn't sad) - that was just a nice, BCP funeral. I think that is what I'm missing. And what the kids are too. Veggie Tales are fine entertainment, but really, I'm thinking we might have to make a move to somewhere where we get a little more than just popcorn.

Sounds like a lot of my life - we need to make a move for Skating. We need to move for Church. I'm only doing the Guides and Pathfinders - other ladies are doing the Sparks and Brownies, so I've already moved there. And festival, well, it's only for two years. Then it moves too.

Funny how someone so staid can be so transitional.

No comments: