Thursday, November 13, 2008

fog

But it is a nice fog. I can't feel the pain in my side for the first time in I can't remember how long. I know it will come back as the happy pill wears off. However, it is so nice just to sit here at my computer, lean back and read.

Yesterday, while I was at the medical clinic with Joelle trying to get the girl's nosebleeds looked at, my doctor (G.P.) stopped me in the nurses room to ensure that all of the lovely blood, lab and other tests had actually been scheduled. I told her that they had, but took the opportunity to tell her that I wasn't really coping well with things. And I asked her what I could do, since I wasn't eating or sleeping. She had to tell me that she couldn't do much for me - when I go in for my scopes and stuff this thing needs to be active. But, she wrote a nice, old fashioned prescription for some pain meds right there.

I'm not allowed codeine. It might "bung me up" and that would be bad considering that one of the things that is being tested for is bowel obstruction (as either primary cause of pain or secondary symptom of disease). So, she went straight to the nerve agents - amitriptyline was the drug of choice. I took the lowest possible dose for pain management, and actually slept on my tummy last night. Didn't knock me out too quickly, so I'll probably take it earlier tonight.

I don't know if I'll over do the eating thing today, but I might try to have a sandwich or something. I made some eggs the other day - maybe an egg salad would be tolerable. I'm still hoping to hear really soon about this test, but if I can have relief overnight, I'll just be sure to take things off of my schedule for the mornings. I think I can do that - it should be a quieter time around here for a while.

Oh, and Jo's nosebleeds checked out as probably hereditary - but her G.P. had her do blood work too. I'm sure I'll find out if any follow-up is needed - I'll be back at that clinic in December at the latest.

1 comment:

Ken Horton said...

Wow sis. Please get better soon. I'm praying for you.