Wednesday, November 5, 2008

let go

I'm upset today. The Spark leader and the Brownie leader have together decided that they need to completely cross reference the whole Spark/Brownie program. And, that they're going to attempt to do interest badges during meetings - something that we've done occasionally, but not always.
I am trying to let this go, without much success. I still think that the interest badges have to be done independently as much as possible - my whole thinking about raising independent children requires this.
And, I'm feeling left out.
I have put twelve years into leading this stuff, I wrote a complete manual on Cross-referencing in the program.
It bugs me that they don't want my input.
It also bugs me because they're going to work on badges that Joelle has already done, just so their kids (and the one kid who won't get any badges unless we do them as a unit) get the badge. Which is really tough on Joelle, 'cause she still has a lot of other badges to do, and I've made her do them herself. And I hate to repeat anything with Joelle - something that is hard to explain unless you have a kid like Jo.
But, what do I do? I still have to figure out the whole program for one Guide and one Pathfinder. They won't be able to earn the 26 badges that the leaders are going to give to the Brownies.
Jo could skip the meetings that she's already done, but Char would be devastated.
I guess I could quit, but that wouldn't be fair to my kids. And not fair to me - it is a part of my makeup.
I can't seem to help the leaders - I have tried. I don't think we have the time in meetings to cover off all that they want to, but they won't listen. And I don't know how I'm going to make it fun for the two older girls if all the Brownies are working on is badges - they won't have time for any "fun" games.
So I'm upset. And I have to work all afternoon at festival and then go to skating to teach. So I'm overwhelmed already.
The worst part is, these leaders are my friends and I think they really think they're taking work off of me. They're trying to get me a "delegation" badge. Unfortunately, they're adding to my stress and my workload by taking away the one part that I thought I knew - what theme we were following in each meeting.
Yes, I have to deal with my control freak tendencies. But, it would have been nice to have had some warning that I was losing my unit, the one that I have put so much into.
I wonder if this is what having a teenager feels like?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow... this is such a powerful post. I'm speachless. I can't imagine how hard today must've been. Why didn't you call me to talk this evening? We could've shared a drink together. I can't believe what they're doing and at the same time, I applaud you for trying to let go (Oh, sensei, I know you can do it). I think that Jo will be able to manage doing a badge twice... but the whole situation is really frustrating - madening even.

By the way, it's okay to have control freak tendencies. Arden wanted me to call you to council me about mine... somehow he doesn't like having his entire house labelled. Doesn't that mean that things will be put back in their spot once I've labelled it?

Sorry for the tangent. Call me. I can't help you let go, but I can help you work through this. I think. Love you.

Unknown said...

Well, dear it has taken me a couple of days to comment because I was so upset for you!
The mother part never leaves - I want to protect even now and was so hurt for you that I wanted to defend you and tell someone off!
It is so hard when you are dealing with these kinds of situations and your children are involved.
I am so sorry and hope you can get this straightened out. Love Mom