But, Hallowe'en is evil, nonetheless.
Yes, I know I do it to myself with my fabric stash and high expectations. But, it is for the kids! Slaving away for a week on a costume that will be worn for one (1) day is tantamount to the effort put into a homemade wedding dress.
Yes, you save some money. No, no one cares.
And besides, this year, Charli wanted the hard costume. Being the second child means she often gets hand-me-downs and second best. So, I had a chance to have a good mommy moment and redeem myself from mommy-guilt.
So, I made it. Sort of.
Whomever designed that pattern should have been shot, 25 years ago, when he/she created it.
Perhaps I had better back up a bit and explain.
I am the lucky recipient of all of my mom's sewing patterns, my aunt's sewing patterns and have a fairly large collection of my own.
Charli was wanting a hallowe'en costume - she wanted to be a brown cat. We have a black cat costume already, but I figured she would find the pattern for the brown cat in the box and we would be just fine. It isn't hard to sew and would be excellent over a snowsuit.
Well, I didn't go through the box first. Big mistake.
Stuck down at the bottom of a box was a never opened Cabbage Patch Kid costume pattern.
Most patterns have their difficulty rating on the front. This one didn't. That should have been my first clue.
For a one size pattern, there were six pages of instructions. That should have been my second clue. But I just thought they were being descriptive. (They weren't. Anything but.)
The pattern called for 7 metres of lace eyelet ruffling and 5 yards of rickrack trim. That should have been a deterrent. Except that I also received all of my Aunt's trim stash, so I could cover that.
Anyway, the costume was made. I skipped making the legs, shoes and hands. And it still took me a week.
Fortunately, Joey wanted to be Lilo. Actually, Joey wanted to be Nancy Drew in the Mystery of the Golden Pavilion, who wears a muumuu, but I told her that I couldn't change her hair colour, so she could be Lilo. And the muumuu - well, that too came from the Aunt Alice fabric stash.
Sorry about the blurry photo, but that should give you an idea. Now I have to go to the school and put them into these things for the afternoon, so they can get them dirty with classroom party snacks before we go out tonight.
Hope everyone has a happy hallowe'en, may it be less evil for you!
No comments:
Post a Comment