Wednesday, June 25, 2008

conversations with a seven & five year old

It is time for summer. The kids are squirrelly. They do not sleep. They do not think. They do not listen. It is time for a break.

I realized this as I had a sweet little conversation with Jo just now:

"So, Jo, what happens if I catch you reading tonight?"
"I can't go to school tomorrow. There will be no school for me."

Um, huh? The consequence for reading is truancy?

Jo was up reading until about midnight last night, and we had a horrible time at swimming (lack of listening skills), so there is reason behind the tirade. That, and it is only a half day tomorrow, filled with fun and frolicking.

But perhaps summer "vacation" is necessary, if only to regain perspective on *why* the girls need to go to school...

And, just now, my dear darling five year old informed me that:

"the constellation of my dreams says that I will dream of a big monster. And, I can't change that."
"Change the story, Char, you can do that."
"No, only my thinking can do that. Not my constellation"
"Char, go to bed."

Which is proof that they are not thinking, and are put on this earth to confuse me.
I'm going to go eat ice cream now. Always worked for my dad, so perhaps it will work for me.

1 comment:

Ken Horton said...

lol, I love my neices.

This confirms that my children are normal, or mild retardation is hereditary...