Tuesday, June 3, 2008

cold and slow

The sarcastic people among you are probably thinking "what else is new? She's always cold and slow"

You're right. It's just extra bad today because I was out on the bike (yes, the motorbike) all morning scouting fields. My quad is in the shop - needs a new "stator" or something behind the flywheel. This is highly inconvenient, as this is one of the weeks that I have to scout fields. And, if you check out the weather, you will note that as soon as the crop is close to ready to spray, it is nasty cold, windy and rainy. That is just the way it is. Every year.

So I am cold, and moving slow. I am still sitting in my long undies and other layers in front of the computer, thinking I might make myself a cup of tea. The only thing that is not good, but saving me from being colder is that the crops are moving incredibly slowly. It is too cold. I truly hope the whole summer isn't like this. I haven't bothered scouting all of the fields yet, because they just aren't close to ready. Joelle had "Hawaiian Day" at school today - she went in shorts and a pareo - I wonder if she's a popsicle yet.

I don't think I would have been any warmer on the quad, but at least it has racks and things that I can strap my extra layers to. Not that I don't already look pretty much hilarious in my workboots, jeans, windshirt & red windbreaker jacket, sunglasses and beany helmet; especially riding the Honda 80 at walking speed. However, when I have my quad I don't have to pick my machine back up every single time the wind blows it over. Yes, I use the kickstand and fortunately, the bike is small and relatively light, but still, it's really frustrating when it falls down in the dirt.

And I was getting tired of having to kickstart the thing - neutral is a small gap between gears that I can only attain if I reach down with my hand and move the toeshifter just so. But at least I know where the clutch is now. For the longest time I wouldn't ride the bike if I could help it, as it has to be in neutral to start if one doesn't use the clutch. And I didn't know about the clutch (or had conveniently forgotten - not entirely sure who is at fault here, teacher or student.) Stalling was a major disaster when I rode the bike that way. Everyone who has ever ridden a motorbike gets a big kick out of me learning to ride without a clutch. I'm a very useful person to have around when you need a giggle.

But, I didn't wipe out, even though skinny tires in soft fields are pretty much a recipe for disaster. And Dale is off now to pick up chemical - he can spray tomorrow if it stops raining. And he's picking me up another jacket from Sears - not that he knows about my latest addition to my sweater and jacket collection. Maybe, if it ever warms up, I'll stop feeling the craving for a new jacket...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Another jacket from Sears? Do you need to purge any of your old ones? :) I'll take them off your hands quite gladly.

Why am I not surprised you're cold? I hope you have a wonderful day - and a nice cuppa this morning. Just think, a month from now (and a little bit) we'll being seeing you. I'm quite excited.