Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My glamourous life as a trucker

Last week (I think - Days are blending together - I think that is caused by long workdays) my sister asked me why I don't want to travel more. I didn't answer her properly then, but I will now.

Because I travel so much with work.

Hey, it may not be chic travel. It may not involve public transportation of any kind (plane, train, bus...) But my job requires lots and lots of travel. Specifically, driving.

Take today as an example.

Part One - the half ton. (Payload capacity: 1500 lbs.)
Woke up this morning before five a.m. to get into the half ton and drive to Saskatchewan. Took two cups of coffee, three mini packages of froot loops and copious quantities of chewing gum.
Ran out of coffee just before Wolseley. The only place open was "Weird Willies". Now, normally, that wouldn't be a choice locale, but the washroom was clean, the staff was friendly (for seven a.m.) A chocolate milk & a package of Brownies and I'm on my way to Regina.

Why? Because Regina has Tim Horton's, so I can fill my coffee cup and eat breakfast again. I'm sorry to say that my famous Tim's radar was a bit out of whack, as there was actually a new Tim's on the north side of Highway 1 that I missed on the way in. For those of you who don't have Tim's radar, there is a neat trip planner available on the website.

Anyway, got my breakie, and back on the road. Destination? Kronau. Not the one in Germany, but still, it was somewhere new. While in Kronau I picked up 1400 lbs. of grain rings. Then I picked up Highway 48 for a change of scenery, and visited such picturesque places as Montmartre and saw the famous red paperclip town of Kipling.

I pretty much headed straight home from there, making reasonably good time (2:30ish arrival - nine hours driving and loading, 730 kilometres, 18.3 miles to the american gallon.) Called Dale, he asked me to bring the grain rings up to the Morgan farm where he was trucking.

Part II - Princess Rosie (10 speed tandem highway tractor with grain box)
Upon arrival at the Morgan place, I was asked to start trucking. It was explained that if all three men (two grandpas & Dale) put together the grain ring, it would go more quickly. Okay. I knew there was a reason I put the trucking boots on this morning (but couldn't figure it out at the time.) Anyway, tied up my hair, hopped in the truck and proceeded to grind my way to the combine. I'm out of practice. And this particular transmission is supposed to be one that you don't have to use the clutch for. Which isn't a bad thing, since I can't really reach it that well anyway even with big boots and the seat adjusted. After six or seven loads I was finally starting to be able to upshift fairly smoothly, and was almost finding a gear when downshifting.

The problem was that Granny had Char for soccer and Jo was coming home on the bus. And nobody was home...everyone else was in the field. We haven't got a full time secretary at the school, so if you don't call in a change of plans early, the child may or may not get the message. Rather than chance that, I called my neighbour and got her to pull Jo off the bus (and Granny got her after soccer).

Finally it looked like Dale would be able to take over on his truck. But, by this time, the combine was far enough over on the piece that the combine was full before the truck was unloaded. So, I switched to the other truck, Dale drove his (and Grandma brought supper.)

Part Three - Old Blue (Automatic ancient tag-axle IH grain truck)
This quirky machine is relatively easy to drive. Automatic is a bit of a misnomer, as shifting is necessary, but this time there isn't even a clutch pedal to tempt you. And easy is dependent on a) being able to locate the centre of the truck underneath the unload auger of the combine; b) not getting into any wet spots (for fear of getting stuck); c) managing to steer a truck with 10 tonnes of grain on it; d) avoiding the ditches in the field and potholes in the road as this particular truck isn't going to survive too many hard bumps.

Keep in mind that each time the truck goes out to the field, it picks up two loads of grain from the combine. Then the truck goes back across the field, out the approach, down the road, down the lane, into the "yard" and has to back up pretty much exactly into boards set up in front of an auger. Without stalling, running over anything, spilling the grain, backing into anything. And when only one truck is running, that has to be done quickly. Of course, it is much easier to do it when three men (who have all taught you to drive at some point in your career) are watching your every move...

Once you have the truck backed in, you have to start tractor and the auger, open the tailgate, ensure the grain is going into the auger hopper, turn on your PTO on the truck for the hoist, raise the hoist (but not so much that you spill the grain) and get itchy. Barley is itchy. Oats are itchy. It is mostly due to the chaff from the grain, but the little dusty bits are quite uncomfortable. This particular field is yielding very well (the quality is awful, but the yield, exceptional.) So, there are more trips to the auger. And more dust.

Part Four - 17 (Red GM 3500 Diesel 5 speed)
About ten p.m. we were ready to go onto the next piece. Only one grain truck needed for that. But, the combine would need fuel. And the men needed coffee. So, I got to jump into 17, go fill the diesel slip tank and stop by home to pick up the coffee etc. that Granny made. This particular truck is quirky in its gearing - you shift the thing at about 3000 rpm...making for a loud trip. Whipped home, grabbed all of the stuff I was supposed to bring and went back to the field. I got to take 17 home...Dale will bring his half ton when he comes back and the grain trucks will remain up there for tomorrow. Not sure when Dale or the combine operator are planning on sleeping...

However, I'd better get showered and to bed. Have to be up early tomorrow, because today, when I left early, Jo missed the bus for the very first time. So, I know that somehow I am needed to make sure that mornings happen. Even if I hate getting up, I guess someone has to!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What an INSANE day! I can't believe how much you were in a vehicle. And despite my love for sunny climes and historic vistas, I have to admit that the view from your kitchen (or driver's seat) is pretty much stellar... I don't think I'd want to travel either. When are you sleeping? Take care of yourself and start numbering your fleet... or painting them each a unique colour... it will make things easy to follow when you're completely sleep deprived.