I sent my little girl off to kindergarten today. She was so excited that she didn't want to smile for the bus picture - she just wanted to get on. And get going!
I have watched my friends post their status updates bemoaning the fact that their babies were starting school. I don't get that sentiment. Charli was so ready to go to school that her four year old year was brutal. I frequently wished that I had the option of putting her in school last year as I would if I lived in Ontario or Alberta.
And really, she's not a baby. Perhaps it is the reality check of having my two "spirited" little nephews here, but I don't really miss that stage. I am so glad she is a happy little girl ready to start into her own life. It doesn't mean that we can't cuddle on her days off. It doesn't mean that we won't have happy times - perhaps having the freedom to get a few things done on the days she is in school will help make the days she is home more fun.
This year is going to be interesting socially for both girls. Joelle is going from a class of five girls, of which she is definitely one of the alpha females to a class that has twelve girls. And ten of them are older than she is. The jump between seven and eight is a big one, so I am hoping that she can still maintain some of her innocence and happy nature in this new environment. I don't worry at all academically - the mixed 3/2 class will be a real bonus for Jo in that way, but I don't know if I'm actually ready to deal with boys/makeup/cliques/attitude royale. As long as she is having fun, I'm sure it will be fine.
Maybe I need to be more sentimental about the milestone of starting school. I don't really think so, however - I have had lots of time to adjust to the fact that my girls are growing up. And while the first day of Kindergarten is a milestone, next year with full time school will actually be more of a life change. For tomorrow, when I wake up and put Joelle on the bus, there will still be little Charlotte at home, ready for me to save her from her boredom.
Anyway, I'm off to enjoy the rest of my day. I have had a lovely shower this morning (bathroom door open, no interruptions), I plan to have some pizza for lunch, and maybe a guilt-free cookie for dessert. Well, I'd better hop to it! Soon enough they will be home with dishes for me to wash, paperwork for me to fill out and stories of their first day of school!
1 comment:
I so understand what you are going through! .... "I don't know if I'm actually ready to deal with boys/makeup/cliques/attitude royale"
That was me last year when Emily was in the 1/2 split! This year she in a straight 2 and so far so good! She is back with her "old" class and seems to be doing well!
I feel for you!
KIM:)
Post a Comment