Friday, August 1, 2008

gardening, the sequel

My garden is legendary amongst my own side of the family, merely average (if not below average) for Dale's side. Today's job is to actually do something with my gardens...I need to pick peas (and maybe the plants, if they annoy me too much), pick beans, pick raspberries, check in on the cauliflower and weed all of the flower beds.

I'm not sure how the beds got to this state, although the slow year (and not having a single day over 30 degrees celsius) has some part of the blame.

Or, perhaps, like the columnist I enjoy so much in the Globe and Mail, I have Seasonal Gardening Disorder. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080726.wleah26/BNStory/lifeStyle/home

Nonetheless, at this point, I'm ready to start tearing up the gardens and putting in grass. Actually, I really might. They can do their pitiful little thing this year, but I think we are looking at mowing more, weeding less starting next year. I know I'll miss the colour, but perhaps the guilt factor will go down if I go back to a few more manageable gardens here.

And besides, I need to move some peonies to the lake - need to have something to look after there.

1 comment:

Ken Horton said...

NOOOOO! Then I'll be on the hook for the biggest garden.

And I'm already half done the weeding this year. One more time and I'm done...