Some people avoid change and disruption. Me, not so much.
A few days ago, after I rearranged the furniture for the third time at the cabin, purchased new things on Sears Outlet and moved my children into bunkbeds in the same bedroom for no other reason than they needed a change, I got bored.
I can tell I'm bored when I don't sleep (and consequently watch far too many documentaries on cleaning, the underground and Steve McQueen). I don't find my food intake interesting - I'll try new recipes, and then not eat them. Or at least not much of them. I bake pies. I make soup. I get bored.
So, when my sister called me up and said that she really needed to get out of Fort McMurray, I looked at my calendar and said, okay, get to Edmonton, I'll meet you there.
Now everyone knows it is getting onto Harvest. I have things on. I have to babysit tomorrow. But, Friday morning at 6 a.m., the three of us girls are going to Edmonton.
We drove for twelve hours. The girls had fun - we stopped at weird touristy things...and then we went to IKEA to do the scavenger hunt. We slept at J's friends' place and then left Saturday morning at 6. Now have six people in the car, and we're on the Thelma and Louise 16 hour, cross-prairie roadtrip. It really was fun. And crazy, but then, that's what happens when I get bored.
At least I didn't rearrange any more furniture. Or take a sledgehammer to my kitchen. And the kids all traveled really, really well. We all learned that spontaneity is, if not a desirable trait, at least a tolerable one. And that CutKnife, Saskatchewan is still the home of the World's Largest Tomahawk!
Sunday, August 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thelma and Louise. My poor nephews. To be dragged along with that much estrogen in one minivan.
Glad it was a safe trip. Now isn't there a room to paint or something?
Post a Comment