We thought that having a second house might solve our problems of excess furniture/stuff. To some extent, it has. We *plan* to put in bookshelves to accommodate the multitudes of boxes of books downstairs that have yet to find a home. Our guest room has suffered, as we had to take the double bed out to the cabin to replace the one that was there. It wasn't fit for anyone, making me wonder how the former owners slept there.
Jo complained about her lake bed to the point that we took the futon mattress and put it on the boxspring. That solved her problem, although making the bed now takes on new challenges. Char hasn't noticed any problems, but I'm sure that is temporary - once she gets a bit bigger, she'll be tall enough to notice the springs digging into her back. Hopefully we'll be able to finish the loft space before that happens, then we'll get them new mattresses on the floor.
I would love to get Jo a loft bed for at home. Her little room is suffering from too many books/a desk that doesn't work for her/a teeny closet/a bed that is way too easy to stuff things under/a seven year old girl. Besides, I always wanted a loft bed, but with my room, it was never practical. Hers has straight walls! But, again, we deal with the "you have to be able to look after what you have before you get new things" problem. I haven't managed to get through this little problem in my kitchen, so I really can't talk.
Jo's bed problems came to a head the other day. We were going through school clothes (yes, went through every stinking piece of clothing those children owned, it took ALL day) and I asked her to clean out under her bed. Again. Dale had been in a few weeks ago and removed all the books from her room (to great protest, including lots of tears) and we thought that might have solved some of the clutter problem. Uh, no.
Stop laughing, parental units. I know I deserve this. It doesn't make it any easier.
Jo had bugs under her bed. I went in to try to find a few more socks, and discovered that the "plant matter" she had brought in for mother's day (why? I don't know. I'm not seven) had attracted bugs.
I like bugs. I just don't want them in my house. So, I took my handydandy screwdriver out and took Jo's bed apart. I vacuumed up the bugs, removed the pieces of the bed, and put Jo's mattress on the floor.
Dale walked in an hour or so later and simply enquired where we were going to put the bed. Jo just wanted to know how she was going to read in bed (lamp was attached to the headboard). Punishment...bombed. But, there is nothing under Jo's bed. And the stuff beside it looks neater.
However, we still have to find a home for the bed, and we still have to get that kid a room that works. So, I think we're going to stack the beds into the bunkbed formation and perhaps, when we have time, we'll tear up the carpet. In the meantime, she still won't have things under her bed, she'll have Char.
Which will bring a whole new adventure.
Thursday, July 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment