Friday, July 4, 2008

the power of ice cream

Lately we have been hearing from the eldest about how much she is wishing for a magic wand. It is kind of cute - who in their right mind wouldn't like a magic wand that could clean up any mess? But, unfortunately, work is the only magic wand around here. And there is lots to do.

Case in point was yesterday: I was busy washing floor, cooking dinner, doing laundry, mowing lawn and otherwise doing domestics that needed done. So, after cleaning their rooms (can't feel sorry for that one, they really needed to), the girls finished up the dishwasher, Jo vacuumed the floor while Char ran errands, then we ran outside to weed the garden before the guests arrived.

This work comes at a price, however. I have to pay one ice cream per child for a day's work. If it is really hard work, sometimes I have to chip in a loonie. That way, they get to buy more ice cream. Or, if we're running through town, I end up getting a soft serve cone each from the Drive-Inn. Side note - people out here call that the "creamee", which is just disturbing and wrong to me. I mean, really, the "creamee?" Yuck. Anyway, the ice cream payment is on top of their allowance, but I'm still astonished at how effective it is.

Is this bribery? No. It is payment for tasks completed. And hey, I work for little more than an ice cream some days, so it seems fair. We're a little picky about our compensation - a creamsicle will work, but a popsicle won't. I'm sure I'm contributing to the ice cream addictions of my children, again, that is a small price to pay for very necessary work (and the work ethic that they are gaining). Or at least that is how I rationalize it.

We didn't finish up what needed done last night, so I'll probably have to shell out again. But maybe I'll get my car washed in the deal...yeah, that would be worth it!

No comments: