But not how I thought it would be.
Sorry I haven't blogged in a while. Been busy. As always. After the whirlwind (66 hour) trip to Thunder Bay I have been able to enjoy my nephews, sister and brother-in-law's company. Not that I get to see too much of anyone - we're still spraying, I'm still hauling water.
And, we're in swimming lessons again.
Yes, I know we were done swimming lessons. Parental obligation was fulfilled.
But, last Wednesday (between six other messages that he missed), Dale took a call from an older gentleman. He had heard we were looking at property on the lake. So, we were invited over for coffee on Thursday morning to discuss the possibility of us buying their cabin on the west side.
Thursday morning arrived rainy, so we dropped the kids with the ready made sitters (thanks, houseguests!) and went to the lake. I got the tour of the interior from the wife and then got to sit while she did a jigsaw puzzle. That's almost like watching someone play solitaire - I wanted to grab the pieces and fit them in. But I restrained myself. I got to see the kitchen, the living room and the small bedroom. The master bedroom was theirs, so I didn't get to see that...
Dale went around the exterior with the gentleman to look at all the structural things and all of the renovations he did 20 years ago that he was still so proud of. Needless to say, time hasn't been kind. The whole east wall of the cabin needs replaced. It currently has a guillotine window waiting to come down on someone's neck, so no one goes around the permanent scaffolding. The "screen room" is so full of holes and rot that it will need to be replaced.
Anyway, we made an offer and drove home. It was a lot less than they were asking, so I figured we were out of luck. But, I have learned to shut up (occasionally) and sure enough, the phone rang about an hour after we got home. The lady of the house had really wanted to sell, so I guess she won the argument.
We signed papers Thursday night (thanks again, houseguests!), I called the R.M. office on Friday to try to get the kids into the annual two week session of swimming lessons on the lake (they started Monday), we officially take possession today. But we've been in for a few days.
They left most everything, and it is kind of strange - it will take a bit of time to make it "ours". And there is a lot of work to do. But, perhaps, I will get some use out of my Aunt's fabric. And, I have a new kitchen with appliances circa 1962.
By the way, it is the A-frame. You can come visit the next time you're out.
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment