Thursday, January 29, 2009

smells like school spirit

Well, I'm not sure what has changed this year. We have traditionally had the TV turnoff week the first week in February (along with 2 PD days, which makes it just lovely.) But, there is no TV turnoff listed on the school website. Can't be sure about the calendar, as Char lost it. It's not a big deal -we have plenty to do without relying on the screen, but it sure would have been nice to know if we were participating.

She did, however, bring home the note that listed the new school spirit days for January. I'm guessing they were a little slow with the school spirit, as she brought it home Tuesday. The first one was today - PJ day. That's fine. Kids were ready half an hour early, even though I made them change into clean pyjamas (nasty mother that I am). They seemed to have fun.

Tomorrow, however, is "favourite sports jersey" day.

Let that one sink in for a bit.

Hamiota is a hockey town. Big time. I'm surprised they haven't tried to get in on Kraft Hockeyville. The point is, virtually everyone in town either plays hockey, or their dad does, or their uncle does, or at the very least, they watch hockey. And so everyone has a jersey.

We don't. Figure skating doesn't have jerseys. Curling doesn't have jerseys. Soccer does, but at our level, they're t-shirts. And, I'm sorry, I don't watch hockey on TV. I don't have a favourite team for hockey, or baseball, or basketball, or football or anything. I guess we could have gone for a Blue Bomber jersey, but the Roughriders are close too. However, I don't feel compelled to purchase a "true" jersey for any team, as I just don't care.

Uh oh. Maybe that means I'm not truly Canadian. Because everyone has to love hockey and the CFL.

Anyway, can't have the kid feeling left out, no matter what questions are being raised about my citizenship. I had to take a trip to Brandon sometime (needed to order the ceiling for my office, and I need to get rid of my radioactive phone - still do, they haven't got replacements yet, needed to get $35 gel stockings for Jo's new skates...and we were almost out of Tim Horton's coffee - maybe I am still sort of Canadian...) Anyway, off to Value Village. They had a completely passable Team Canada jersey for $7. Done deal.

I just hope that this "school spirit" gets easier - I could do historical day, or sports day, or backwards day, or hat day...I'm just a little concerned that some other weird community thing is going to come up and I'll have another Value Village run.

Because, you see, the Hamiota Thrift shop isn't open until tomorrow afternoon. Bet they have a lot of jerseys...

No comments: