Saturday, May 9, 2009

sure signs of spring on the farm

It must be spring. The calendar says it is May, but I think it might almost be getting there in real life. Here are 10 reasons why I think so:

1. wood ticks.
The ticks are out. Charlotte is attracting them like only Charli can. She picked one out of her hair this morning (not her first) - although considering the weather yesterday, it was unexpected. I had hoped that they had all frozen! She has to learn not to take her entire scalp with the tick, although she did get the head, so I guess that was good. I'll catch her with the polysporin after her bath.

2. soccer in the snow
It is soccer season. First game was last night. It snowed. Jo wore her skating tights under her uniform and her beige mini mitts - she was warm and looked somewhat normal for soccer. I, however, froze my little butt. We still haven't stopped Jo from skipping while playing, but she sure was happy!

3. skating in the sun
It is still skating season. We'll be done next week, but it is called "spring school", so that must make it spring. And most of the time (today was an exception), there is no snow. It is nice to go from sneakers to skates, and to only have to pack one set of clothes (again, excepting today, when we had to sit inside the rink, in the cold.)

4. rummage sales and garage sales are on
We had to sit in the cold Foxwarren rink today because the warm waiting room was crowded with bargain hunters. I had already shopped - the stuff has been there for two weeks. I did wonder why there was such a steady stream of traffic headed towards Hamiota, until I realized that it was town-wide garage sale and auction sale day! Oooh, what fun.

5. lawn mowing
I mowed the lawn today. I didn't really plan to, I was just trying to run last year's gas out of the push mower so that Dale could service it. After mowing the whole stinking lawn, I have had my workout, the mower still has gas in it and the thing will have to wait until the grass grows again to get serviced. Blah.

6. wood cutting and child labour
I got the chainsaw out again to get rid of a few suckers on Maple trees and other assorted bush debris. The kids will be paid to move the branches, although they're going to be waiting a while for that new Hannah Montana soundtrack at this rate!

7. campfire and wieners
We've already had the first campfire of the season, using last years branch harvest to cook our stuff. It was a great way to clean up the lawn - the kids burnt all of last years leaves (that they raked up) and we got rid of a few bits of wood too. We're barbecuing wieners too these days. I have to giggle - the cats won't leave meat alone on the plates or the counters - horrible habit, I know. If bread stuffs are left out, they'll eat right through the bag. However, the hotdog that Char couldn't finish is still left out on the table unscathed...

8. Almost buds on the trees - or at least that hairy look
But no sign of any asparagus. And I'm not sure where some of my perennials have gone. I think I moved them. I don't remember. The rhubarb is there, at least. I haven't lost that. I have the kozy koats out with tomatoes in them. I have the cold frame out with plants in it. But, with lows of -3 tonight (and lower for the last few), they are covered with blankets, again.

9. Coffee is made more than once a day
Today was the first day that the coffee machine has started to earn its living (well, other than when Granny was here :-) ) We've invested in stainless steel thermoses (thermi?) to make this season go a bit smoother. It is rather retro - everything looks so nice and sleek right now. I'll give it about a week until the thermi a) get lost somewhere in the tractor and grow mold; b) get run over by the tractor or implement; or c) come back dented and greasy, making me wonder what exactly has gone on in the tractor

10. The "I'll call you when I need a ride" has started
Tonight, it's supposed to be before midnight. The girls will get back into the habit of sleeping in pyjamas that can transfer to the car. This lifestyle is a good thing. We're finally started anhydrousing. This should last a week or so - Dale and his dad will be working from first fill (6:30 - 7 a.m.) until they run the tank out sometime after 11 p.m. every night. I'll get to harrow when the kids are in school. Then we (hopefully) will start seeding.

And maybe, by then, it will really be spring, and not this joke of a season.




No comments: