Things are "going" on the farm. I wish they were going faster, but the weather can't be helped.
As I read my brother's blog tonight, I recognize that my lifestyle may not be the most conducive to planning. I have also noticed this when talking with my parents, who are trying to co-ordinate their travel plans around my harvest schedule.
Today, for instance, my in-laws were getting concrete poured in their garage. Dale was just going to shut down the seeder and go help with that. However, I am a pest/nag therefore I asked to be shown how to sow in order to keep the machine moving. We only started sowing yesterday, it is late, it was a kindergarten day - no reason why I couldn't drive the tractor.
Thing is, we knew about this...last night. Makes things difficult to plan. Add the weather, which looked sunny (I took my sunglasses out to the tractor) until it started snowing, ice pelleting and finally raining really hard and my day ended up being full of strange and diverse tasks.
Make coffee; make breakfast for kids; make lunch for kids; do hair for kids; ensure kids have all belongings; get dressed for work; drink coffee; put kids on bus; add parka and insulated overalls to work clothing; go to tractor and sow for a few hours.
Drive tractor back to yard when it starts pouring; drive home (grouchy); make lunch for self; eat lunch.
Surf web; wake poor husband from nap; nag poor husband to go get seed as it has stopped raining and is drying up.
Boil soup bones.
Make cookies.
Get kids off bus; help with homework; feed kids snack; change out of work clothes; apply makeup to cover dirt; get child ready for soccer and go to soccer practice.
Get mail; get groceries; get fuel; get child from soccer.
Make supper; eat supper; continue making stock; water poor little cold plants in the coldframe; close the coldframe; put kids through bath; make coffee.
Take coffee and cookies to tractor; put kids to bed (threaten children); drink 1/2 cup of coffee left in the pot; continue making stock.
Put stock in garage to cool overnight; soak pressure cooker; unload dishwasher; load dishwasher; wash floor.
Answer weather call; wish that the stupid system had stayed in Montana.
And today was a quiet day, and very, very nice as Dale fed himself all day long. Tomorrow - well, I know that Jo has soccer practice and I should probably skim that stock. Other than that, we'll just have to see!
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment