I see that I haven't updated since November. Sorry about that. Things are nuts - please feel free to look at past facebook updates to see why.
Perhaps I can try to share. In November and December my kitchen looked like this:
Note, the sort of working oven is still in place. I have a dishwasher. The fridge is there. Countertops. But, it is ugly. The time has come.
So, this was January.
And so was this.
Of course, the picture doesn't show the work that had to be done before the walls went up - a few walls shifted just a few feet. All the wiring had to be redone. The plumbing had to move. The insulation had to be redone. The pot lights had to be installed in the ceiling, making that insulation out of place. Dale had to go work in the cistern (with leaking hipwaders) quite a few days to get everything under the floor where it needed to be.
I seem to have missed the "plywood box" stage - that is lovely - it really sets off a room to have everything clad in plywood. Just imagine everything yellow.
February is bonspiel month, so this was what we managed to get accomplished. I started mudding the ceiling the weekend that Dale was away in Wetaskiwin - that would have been the 8th or so. While he was away, the furnace died. I replaced the thermostat (myself.) I can wire - who knew. And the electrician fixed the actual furnace after Dale returned. The cabinets were delivered to our shop the last week of February.
The flooring guys came and installed the floor at the beginning of the month. Dale has started to put up the upper cabinets and has managed to get a coat of paint up in places.
We're still mudding the ceiling.
Today, the hot water heater gave out. Rusted out, is our guess. So, Dale has been to town (twice) has completed the plumbing and I have the lovely smell of solder throughout the house. No hot water yet. Drywall dust still in my hair.
We need to put more cabinets up, but that's a daylight job and we're quickly running out of that today.
Just for icing on the cake, the oven continues to give problems. So after 5 snowed in days, I went to get a part for it. It still doesn't work. And the part is not returnable.
I think we have finally decided to install a new gas range (or maybe a dual fuel), but we need to install a propane tank next to the barbeque.
Maybe that's an idea - it is spring, I'll go barbeque!
Guess it will be a while 'till we can finish this kitchen...
Saturday, March 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow... thank you very much for posting the photos - you have done an amazing amount of work (though the solemn BBQ in the snow is most appropriate for this time). Ahhh... renovations - the joy! Can't wait to see the final product!
Post a Comment