Know why we're so welcoming? Why we're so friendly?
The weather here sucks. I don't have a better word. Most of my friends are using unprintables on facebook to describe it. So the unpredictable weather is frustrating/annoying/irritating/aggravating/horrid (Jo is helping me here...)
Anyway, the weather makes everyone slightly cynical but also teaches every Manitoban that there are things in life that can't be changed. So it makes us laid back too. Even if you're a transplant (like me), eventually the attitude will rub off on you.
Yesterday Jo had a test day to travel to in Saskatchewan. It was an early start, so we all got up at 6:30 and I got my extra kid (some things about skating never change) and we set out. The gravel was greasy/slippery, which isn't odd when we begin spring melt. When the ground is still frozen a few inches down, but it turns to mud on top, driving isn't so fun.
This time, the gravel was greasy due to the first downpour of the season, complete with thunder and lightning. A thunderstorm. In March. It poured. And when it wasn't pouring, it rained ice pellets. The wind really helped - it seemed to be blowing at about the same speed I wanted to travel - crossways, of course.
I stopped for a break at Kirkella (one of two government sponsored potties on the trans-Canada highway in Manitoba - we have one coming in and one leaving the province - I guess you're supposed to hold it all the way through the rest?) Anyway, as I continue West along #1, past the Welcome to Saskatchewan signs, the rain stops. Or at least slows down to the point of "intermittent" on the wipers.
So we got the skating done, left in fog (that wasn't fun, but on four lanes, it's driveable), got our ice cream at the DQ in Moosomin. You just have to stop at the DQ in Moosomin - slowest one in the country, but when there is nothing else for two hours either way, a hot fudge milkshake really hits the spot!
We crossed the border back into Manitoba. I could tell, because the fog had been replaced with sheets of rain and gale force winds. Again. Or, more accurately, still. It rained all day while we were away. We're hearing amounts of three inches. And, since the ground is still frozen underneath, all that is happening is that our remaining snow is all turning the consistency of the proverbial Manitoba Slurpee. I discovered that first hand when I tried to get into my driveway.
And virtually everyone has water in their basements as the weeping tiles are still frozen. We're okay - this is higher ground, so our lakes are in the usual spots - in front of the quonset (that Dale got the oats out of Friday, thank goodness); down the lane and a new one in front of the shop. We have a bit in our breezeway - no one put flashing between the garage roof and the house roof, so we always get a bit there with an east wind. It's worse than usual, but I had just finished taking a lot of clothes/boots out of there Saturday and putting them away in plastic bins.
We also have a bit in the room under our stairs - but again, I'd just finished putting things in plastic bins in there on Saturday, so again, damage will be minimal. My in-laws house was okay last night, too.
I have heard that the church was in bad shape - buckets and cleanup crew there all afternoon.
And they called off school today, as the water was getting into the schools. Kids are excited for a three day weekend, but my facebook friends are already worried about a two-week spring break (we start next week).
You see, the weather forecast is calling for a continuation of this Colorado Low - this time dropping six inches of snow on us, starting tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment