Friday, February 20, 2009

salt

They finally salted the roads. Wow. Took 10 days, but we finally have almost driveable highways. So I took the car for the first time in forever and went to town to do some errands.

Since they canceled my specialist appointment yesterday, I got whiny. And got a hold of my GP, who, since she is also a friend, I don't e-mail outside of the office about office stuff. My desperation had been caused by being in the middle of a flare and not seeing any potential for change in the situation.

She was kind and gave me an immediate pill solution, and then looked into my file, dug out my biopsy results (the primary reason behind my specialist appointment) and found out they were clean. Which probably means Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

So two days ago I got to start a new IBS diet. Eat things with soluble fibre. Okay. Soluble fibre. Hmmm.

Turns out that the types of fibre that I like to eat, that I truly enjoy, are insoluble. So they need to be eaten in moderation. The types of fibre that I'm not as fond of (but hey, anything is better than nothing) I'm supposed to eat. Oats are good, Wheat is not so great. Some fruits are good, others not. It's complicated.

And I'm supposed to cut back (actually cut out, but I don't know if I'm that strong) coffee. Decaf still counts as coffee. So that sucks. I just bought a new coffeepot (again) - one that pours better. Too bad I have to make smaller pots.

But, between the new diet and the allowance for imodium and tylenol as necessary I have been coping better this week. Supper is a bowl of cheerios, but that beats the heck out of boost. And, for those days when I still need to have boost (rink days - it's just safer when I'm driving), I can have fibre supplements when I get home.

At least it is a change. Things are not going to get better when dealing with my kids' activities. They will be busy, and therefore, so will I. It's really a short period in life, I keep telling myself. And maybe, when I have more control over my life's business (or do I mean busy-ness) my body will stop rebelling. In the meantime, coping sounds good.

No comments: