It's official. I'm turning into my mother-in-law. Or maybe my dad. Not sure which...
That's pretty disturbing - maybe I should explain. Here it is, December 17th, and I'm planning a meal that is more than a week away.
My diet still hasn't improved much. I attempted supper again last night - that was silly, to say the least. My evening was a write-off. I get to see a dietitian on the 23rd, although she didn't sound optimistic about finding me much else to eat.
So, the traditional Christmas dinner of turkey, stuffing, sausage, turnip, potatoes and gravy and vegetable seems a little much to cook, especially for four people.
But, Food TV sent me an e-mail yesterday with suggestions for a Victorian Christmas dinner. I looked it over and decided that it seemed more sensible for my limited diet. A smaller bird, different side dishes that I might be able to eat. The brunch looked good too. But, where to get a goose?
My local Bigway came to the rescue. The new store is open, and I went shopping there yesterday. No goose, but they did have a little duck. I bought it - the girls were excited to try duck, so we're away. I still need to find some dried apricots for the add-ons - but I'll try the local stores for that. If I can't get dried ones, I still have time to dehydrate. I can't eat them, but they're a favourite with Dale & the girls anyway.
As I'm perusing the internet this morning, though, I read the Globe's TV columnist about this particularly odd Canadian food fascination. As he says, no one will attempt Food TV's "Victorian Christmas" - I suppose that officially makes me a food geek.
I'm still looking for a good crumpet recipe, by the way - if you have one, please send it along.
In the meantime, I have to go finish my specialty. I'm making Christmas jello for hot lunch tomorrow, and I still need to layer the lime on top of the cherry in the clear plastic cups.
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment