Don't get me wrong. I love Christmas. I love to make things. It's too bad that the making things always ends up being so rushed!
I'm writing now (yes, 11:30 Christmas Eve) as I'm waiting for my husband to return from his shop. He went over to "put the truck in and clean a few things out" and I went to have a bath. Well, my hair is almost dry, and he's not back.
I think he must be handcarving my present. Or perhaps it is one of those "some assembly required" gifts. Has me curious, though...
Today was chaotic as usual for Christmas Eve. See, the big guy won't come to a messy house, so we have to clean Christmas Eve. It's an annual event. I was trying to prepare special meals for tomorrow as well as the kid requested supper, so I was somewhat excused.
And I wasn't finished the nighties yet. But, I made crumpets and crimini mushroom/broccoli quiche and seafood lasagna (except I forgot to buy lasagna noodles, so it was seafood lasagna with bowties) and then I steamed my duck with fresh rosemary, garlic and lemon. Still can't get the smell off my hands.
Dale was taking advantage of the day by installing the laminate floor in Jo's room. That's not usually a 2 person full-time job, but this stuff was different. The panels were 4' x 16", for starters, and instead of the "knock together" method, this was lift and click. Which would have been fine if you didn't have to lift the whole row. He got it finished after supper and now has very sore hands from beating the panels into place.
Anyway, after cooking like a fool, helping lift the floor into place (or leaning on it while Dale did the work) and countless loads of dishes, I went downstairs and finished up the nighties. Fortunately I only had lace, ribbon, elastic and buttons to do, and then just cut off the ends.
I wondered if the whole homemade nightie tradition was worth it this year - I could have probably found something at Sears to fit them both. But I guess it must be. The girls insisted that they were princesses in their long gowns. I always end up making the nighties too long, but the year's growth seems to work that out. So for Christmas Eve, the girls have no feet and dirty ruffles. By the next Christmas Eve Eve, you can almost see their knees. It has turned into a cute part of our Christmas tradition, and the sweat equity makes me appreciate...something.
Anyway, I sure hope he gets done over there soon. I still have scones to make up tomorrow morning - even have the currants for them, and my butter is resting in the freezer for fresh grating.
Have a fantastic Christmas, everyone, hope it brings everything that you could ask for!
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment