It is try-on day. Actually, it is only one of many try-on days throughout the year - we do this every single season. We have a blue bag that goes to Value Village about 4 times a year. How we get so many clothes, I will never know.
Actually, I do know. The hand me down bag.
We are very lucky to have generous friends. I just wish that they had better taste in clothes. Most of the battles I have with the girls involve the things coming out of the bags that:
- Show belly (either intentionally or due to shrinkage - why do shirts shrink up and pants shrink in...?)
- Are tank tops/camisoles that don't cover what they need to and really, do we need to wear tank tops to school?
- Have lousy fit
- Are made out of cheap fabric
- Are completely inappropriate - who buys biker wear or beer shirts for their kids? And who came up with padded bras for preteens? What is the point of a hoodie that doesn't cover the shoulders?
I'm willing to give most things a chance...but no, not a strapless dress for a 10 year old. I can't figure out which kid that was purchased for as all three girls who "hand-me-down" were taller at 10 than Jo...
Going shopping for new clothes leads to the same battles. We struggle with fitting jeans to kids with skater legs. Finding a t-shirt that is thicker than my pantyhose is a losing proposition.
So, I went to "What Not to Wear". I figured Stacy & Clinton might have something to say about back to school wear. And sure enough, they have an article for middle schoolers. I also like most of the rules about office wear, except the one about denim, even for grade 5.
The funny part is I have now lost almost all of my clothes. In looking for "something vintage" and "sharing a wardrobe", Jo has run off with my sweaters (sigh, I loved those), my floral blouses (they were small anyway) and my t-shirts (guess it was time to move on).
I think maybe it is time for mom to go shopping. I don't want old lady clothes, I'm not ready to give up on t-shirts under sweaters. However, I have no idea how I'm going to keep my stuff nice while I'm sharing it with someone who is taking crayons back to school.
At least she can't steal my shoes anymore, her feet are bigger.
1 comment:
Thanks for posting, Linda. I love the shout out to Stacy and Clinton - I think it makes sense that they also have rules for young girls; it's amazing what a wardrobe "says" - though what does it "say" when your own wardrobe goes MIA to your kids? Hmm... when you DO go shopping, you'll need to tag your own good stuff in order to avoid having it snarfled by the girls. Maybe you can get Jo to make a sign for your room that says "Hands off mom's wardrobe" - as I certainly thoroughly appreciate her work done on the get well card with "clear that clot!".
Post a Comment